Policy No. 2:06:02:00


SUBJECT: Course Grade Appeal Process

ClSCC students have the right to know and understand the reasons for decisions affecting their academic standing and their progress through the curriculum.  Students have, for example, the right to review their examinations and assignments, to know the correct answers to test and examination questions, and to understand how grades were assigned to them.  Any student, therefore, may request such information of instructors with the assurance that they will respond courteously and professionally.  Should the instructor have made an error in correcting an examination or assignment or in computing a student’s grade, the instructor will willingly correct the error.  In matters of interpretation, however, the judgment of the faculty member as the professional in the discipline shall prevail.

Should instances arise in which a student has an academic concern and believes that he or she has been treated unfairly, the student should initiate the appeal process (within two weeks after the end of the semester; within the first two weeks of class during the subsequent term, including summer, for a final grade) in the following manner:

  1. The student must immediately make an appointment with the appropriate faculty member to discuss the problem.  This will allow the faculty member the opportunity to explain the rationale for the grade or the evaluation procedure and to resolve the matter, if possible.
  2. If the student is not satisfied with the result of the meeting with the faculty member, the student should immediately request a departmental review through the Division Dean of the appropriate academic area.  The form of this review shall be an informal discussion between the Dean, the faculty member, and the student directly.  The Dean will notify the student and the faculty member of the outcome.
  3. If the student is dissatisfied with the outcome of the Dean’s review, the student should immediately request a conference with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  4. If no solution can be reached at this point, the student may request a hearing before the college’s Academic Appeals Committee through the procedure outlined in Guidance Letter A-080.
  5. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may change deadline dates if the situation warrants any needed changes or accommodations.


Source: Curriculum and Academic Standards meeting 12/8/1993. and revised 3/27/2003, President’s Cabinet April, 2003.

Approved by: Curriculum and Academic Standards 3/27/2003 and 2/7/13; President’s Cabinet February 12, 2013.