Becoming an Adult+Reconnect Student

Step 1

Fill out an application. To apply online, click “Apply Now" and choose “First Time User Account Creation.”

Step 2

Submit an official* high school transcript, GED, or HiSET. If you have already attended other colleges or universities, you must submit those official transcripts as well.

Step 3

Submit official* ACT/SAT test scores. (If you took the ACT and/or SAT in high school within the last 3 years, your high school should be able to include your test scores with your official high school transcript.) You may be required to take additional tests for placement.

Step 4

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Effective October 1, 2012 any applicant to a college or university that receives funding from the State of Tennessee and wants to be classified as “In-State” for tuition purposes will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or proof of Permanent Resident status. This is in accordance with House Bill 1379/Senate Bill 1325.

If you are a U.S. Citizen, provide one (1) of the following:

  • A valid Tennessee driver’s license or photo identification license issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety
  • A certified birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory*
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad or a report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • A certificate of citizenship or naturalization
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-179/I-197)

If you are a Permanent Resident, provide the following:

Valid alien registration documentation or other proof of current immigration registration recognized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that contains the individual’s legal name and current alien admission number or alien file number.

Other valid documentation of identity and immigration status the U.S. Department of Homeland Security may require in order to verify the applicant’s status as a qualified alien through the SAVE program.

*Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized in accordance with the U.S. Department of State policies.

Step 5

Immunization Requirements

Submit MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) immunization records if applicable:

  • Students who graduated from a public Tennessee high school between 1979 and December 1999 are required to provide proof of one dose of the MMR since their high school graduation if seeking full-time enrollment.
  • Students who graduated from an out-of-state high school or any student who has received a GED or HiSET must provide proof of two doses of MMR if seeking full-time enrollment.
  • Students who were born prior to January 1, 1957 or who graduated from a public Tennessee high school after May 1999 are exempt from this requirement. Submit Varicella immunization records if applicable:
  • Effective July 1, 2011, students who graduate from a Tennessee high school after 1999 are   exempt from varicella 1 (chicken pox) vaccine.
  • Students born after January 1, 1980, must provide proof of varicella 2 (chicken pox) vaccine or proof of disease. Students who graduate from a Tennessee high school after June 1, 2016 are  exempt from this requirement.
  • Students registered in fewer than 12 hours are exempt from this requirement.
  • Contact the Admission Office for additional information on immunization requirements. Once processed, students will receive a provisional acceptance letter letting them know what other documents may be due. Once this admission’s process has been completed, you will then be in a position to complete the registration process.

NOTE: Don’t forget to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). *Official transcripts are those received from the issuing institution by mail or in person a sealed envelope. Official transcripts may also be transmitted electronically by the issuing institution.


Contact Us:

Phone: 423-641-8668