Adult+Reconnect FAQs

about Admissions and Registration    

You have years of life experience behind you, but you’ve never finished college. Not a problem. This path has been walked by many hard-working parents, retirees, unemployed, underemployed, and determined people, and they had the exact same questions. Here are some of the most common questions and answers our adult students have.

What is CougarNet?

CougarNet is Cleveland State’s internal website to online student services including class registration, fee payments, grades, class schedules, email and much more. CougarNet is available 24/7 and is the gateway to all the things you need to be successful at Cleveland State.

When should I pay for my classes?

Tuition and fees must be paid in full by the published deadline. Tuition due dates can be found by going to the Cleveland State website at and clicking on “Current Students,” the “Business Office” and then “How/When to Pay.” These dates are applicable whether paying by cash, credit card, third parties, VA and all forms of financial aid. After this date, you will be removed from your classes for non-payment.

Will my classes from other colleges transfer to Cleveland State?

Once you have applied to the College and your admission file is complete, an official transfer evaluation will be done. Credit is contingent upon course equivalence, content and grades. You can view your awarded transfer credit by logging into your CougarNet account and clicking on “Unofficial Transcript.”

Will my courses transfer from Cleveland State to other colleges?

As an accredited institution of the State College and University System of Tennessee, governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR), the undergraduate curriculum at Cleveland State is designed to consider the institutions to which students transfer. However, students should always consult the catalog of the institution to which they plan to transfer.

How do I request my Cleveland State transcript or enrollment verification?

If you need an official copy of your transcript, you will request it through CougarNet. Under the “My Account” tab, select the “Request Printed Transcript” link and follow the instructions. It will take approximately two business days for your request to be processed. There is no charge for transcripts, and all holds must be cleared before you can request it. Unofficial transcripts can be accessed under the “My Account” tab and by selecting “Academic Transcript.”

How do I request an enrollment verification?

To request an enrollment verification, you will need to complete the Enrollment Verification Form. Once completed, you can either mail it to us, or you can scan and email it to Verifications will take approximately two business days to be processed.

Can I take a class without receiving credit?

Yes. Students wishing to audit a class may do so on a space-available basis. An application for admission is required and fees are the same as for a credit class. Students may also change from credit to audit by the published deadline.

*Tennessee residents 60 years of age and older may audit classes free of tuition and registration fees. Note: Additional lab fees may apply.


Contact Us:

Phone: 423-641-8668