Becoming a Student

You've decided to take the next step in your education, and you've found a perfect fit at Cleveland State Community College. What now? Whether you’re just finishing high school or are looking to start a second or third career, five simple steps get you started on the road to becoming a Cleveland State student.

Step 1: Apply

Fill out the online application by clicking the Apply Now button on the left side of this page.

Step 2: Submit Transcripts

Submit an official* high school transcript or HSE. If you have already attended other colleges or universities, submit those official transcripts as well.

*Official transcripts are those received from the issuing high school, college or university by mail or a scanned email. If brining in person must be in a school sealed envelope.

Step 3: Submit ACT/SAT Scores

Submit official* ACT/SAT test scores. If you took the ACT and/or SAT in high school, your high school should be able to include your test scores with your official high school transcript.

Step 4: Submit Health Records

Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and Varicella requirements can be met by having your health care professional complete a certificate of immunization.

  • MMR: Proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella may be provided by meeting one of the following criteria:
    • Students seeking full-time enrollment who graduated from a public Tennessee high school between 1979 and December 1998 must provide proof of one dose of the MMR vaccine since graduating high school.
    • Students seeking full-time enrollment who graduated from an out-of-state high school or received a HSE must provide proof of two doses of the MMR vaccine.
    • Students born prior to January 1, 1957 or who graduated from a public Tennessee high school after May 1999 are exempt from this requirement.
  • Varicella: Proof of immunity to varicella (chickenpox) is required by meeting one of the following criteria:
    • Date of birth before 1980.
    • History of chickenpox illness diagnosed by a healthcare provider or verified physician, advanced practice nurse pr physician assistant to whom the illness is described.
    • Documentation of two doses of varicella vaccine given at least 28 days apart, excluding doses given earlier than four days before the first birthday.
    • Documentation of blood test (serology) showing immunity to varicella.
    • Students who graduate from a Tennessee high school after 1999 need only to submit proof of their second varicella vaccine or proof that they have had the disease.

Regulations regarding Hepatitis B waiver form:

  • Required for first-time students only.
  • Hepatitis B immunization is not required. However, a signed waiver form must be submitted to the office.
  • Contact the Admissions Office for additional information.

Step 5: Proof of US Citizenship

Effective October 1, 2012 any applicant to a college or university that receives funding from the State of Tennessee and is classified as "In-State" for tuition purposes will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or proof of Permanent Resident status. This is in accordance with House Bill 1379/Senate Bill 1325.

    If you are a U.S. Citizen, provide one (1) of the following:

  • A valid Tennessee driver's license or photo identification license issued by the department of safety
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory*
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad or a report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • A certificate of citizenship or naturalization
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-179/I-197)

    If you are a Permanent Resident, provide the following:

  • A valid alien registration documentation or other proof of current immigration registration recognized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that contains the individual's legal name and current alien admission number or alien file number.
  • Other valid documentation of identity and immigration status as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security may require in order to verify the applicant's status as a qualified alien through the SAVE program.

    How should I submit these documents?

  • Students should bring in the above mentioned document(s) to the Enrollment Services Center or scan and email to Faxed copies of required documents cannot be accepted, and will not complete the Admissions requirement.


*Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized in accordance with U.S. Department of State policies.


Once all requested materials have been received and reviewed by our Admissions and Records Office, you will receive an acceptance letter. At this point, you will be able to complete the registration process.

NOTE: Don’t forget to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).